MCI New Rules
Indian students who wish to pursue medical education in overseas must check the Medical Council of India (MCI) new rules.
National Medical Commission
The National Medical Commission (NMC) has introduced some set of new rules for the students who wish to pursue MBBS abroad. The rules were developed by the Board of Governors in supersession of Medical Council of India constituted under section 3A of the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956.
NMC functions listed
Implemented policies to maintain high quality standards in medical education.
Policies for regulating medical institutions, medical researches.
Ensures the HR for the healthcare infrastructure and to develop a road map.
Eligibility to appear FMGE exam for Foreign Medical Graduates
The course duration must be at least 54 months along with the internship of 12 months from the same medical institution.
Students must have studies on ‘English’ as the official medium of instruction.
The students must have studied the subjects like General Medicine, Community Medicine, Psychiatry, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Anesthesia, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Dermatology, lab services, Emergency or Casualty services, and their sub-specialties.
Foreign Medical Graduates MBBS Course Duration
Students undergone the MBBS Degree in foreign nation must be equivalent to the MBBS curriculum in India.
Students have done an internship of 12 months compulsorily from the same university/institution they have completed the course.
Indian students must have completed the whole curriculum within 10 years of date of enrollment.
- The Foreign Medical Graduates must studied MBBS course for a duration of at least 54 months ie, 4.5 years.
- The Theory and practical training obtained in overseas must be equivalent to the MBBS degree in India.
- 12 months of Internship from the same medical institution after completion of the course is compulsory.
- Students must have done the course, internship/clerkship from the same medical institution during their course of study.
- It is mandatory to clear the FMGE examination to start practicing in India.
- After the completion of examination and registration process, the FMGs are permitted to practice in India.
- The NMG Gazette also highlights that students must have complete the total course curriculum along with the internship within 10 years of the date of enrollment.